WHAT DOES IT DO?
- It gives shape to an area of the face and enhances face structure through the use of makeup.
- Provides subtle definition based on your face shape.
- Uses artistry and illusion in order to create a beautiful makeup result in your daily routine>this technique is NO LONGER reserved for runways models and actresses!
STEPS TO GOOD CONTOURING:
- Make sure to start with a foundation that matches the color of your skin > this will even your skin tone and provide a base that can be built upon when contouring with lighter and darker shades.
- Get foundation that is a few shades lighter than your skin tone > for highlighting, you want to use foundation that is 2 shades lighter that your base foundation!
- Choose a foundation that's a few shades darker than your skin > if you go more than 2 shades darker than your skin tone, the makeup will NOT look natural! The darker tone is used to shade parts of your face that you want to draw attention AWAY from :)
- Get a good blending brush > you want to choose a brush that is a big, bushy foundation brush or a type of blending brush instead of a small brush- this helps the makeup blend smoothly.
- Make sure your hair is not in your face > this keeps it out of the way so you can see what you're doing and without it actually get in the way of what you are doing!
- Start with a clean AND moisturized face.
- Apply foundation in your regular skin tone and any concealer you need on under-eye circles and blemishes.
- Next, apply the lighter foundation > start with the center of your forehead, along top of brow lines, then along bridge of your nose, on the apples of your cheeks, on your cupid's brow, and finally in the center of your chin.
- Apply the dark foundation > use your finger or a foundation brush to apply this darker foundation where parts are naturally shadowed from the sun> below your hairline @ the top of your forehead, on the rt. and lft. sides of your forehead-near your hairline, along the rt. and lft. sides of your nose, in the hollows of your cheeks, and finally along your jawline- from your ears to the tip of your chin.
- Blend your makeup well!
- If needed, considering adding highlighter> apply this in the same places that you already applied the lighter foundation.
- Follow with blush >apply on the apples of your cheeks.
- Use a matte setting powder> sets all the contouring in place and leaves a smooth finish!
- Save your eye and lip makeup for LAST!> contouring can result in a bold look -you want to choose either heavy eye makeup or a bright lip, but not both!
HOW DO YOU CONTOUR BASED ON YOUR FACE SHAPE?
TOP CONTOURING KITS:
- Tarte- Tres Chic Park Ave Princess Contour Palette $34
- Anastasia Beverly Hills - Contour Kit $40
- Make Up For Ever- Sculpting Kit $48
- It Cosmetics- My Sculpted Face $38
- Smashbox- Step-by-Step Contour Kit $45
TOOLS FOR CONTOURING:
- Tarte- The Slenderizer Bamboo Contour Brush $32
- Sephora- Flatter Yourself Contouring Brush Set $48
- Make Up For Ever- #158 Double Ended Sculpting Brush $53
- Nars- #21 Contour Brush $42
- It Brushes for Ulta- #315 Velvet Luxe Soft Foucus Sculpting Brush $34