Subscribe in a reader
Interesting Holiday Facts:
- Early depictions of St. Nicholas actually show him as more of a disciplinarian than a joyous man bringing presents, as most children today know him to be :0
- Retail makes it big during this time of year, with around 1/6th of their annual sales coming from this time of year!
- Celebrating Christmas in Japan this year? Be prepared to get your KFC Christmas dinner ordered around 2 months in advance and chow down on Christmas Eve, enjoying a family feast for a bargain price! Thanks to a successful brand marketing campaign from 40 yrs. ago, this tradition has been a Japanese tradition for many years.
- When Denny's decided to shut down for the first day on Christmas in 1988, they forgot about something: most Denny's at that time that were 24-hr. restaurants, didn't have locks :( This posed a problem for them to say the least....!
- "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin, is arguably the most popular best-selling single in history- with over 100 million copies sold :0
- All letters that are addressed to Santa here in the U.S. actually go to none other than.... Claus, Indiana.
- The highest-grossing Christmas movie of all time is How the Grinch Stole Christmas, starring Jim Carrey.
- In Canada, the children can participate in the "Santa Letter-Writing Program" literacy initiative in which children may send their letters to Santa at none other than the zip code: H0H 0H0.
- On December 22nd, 2014, the U.S. broke a national record for the most parcels delivered in a single day- with over 28.2 million packages delivered by USPS in just that one day :0 That was more than in the U.S. Postal Service's 237 year history!
- American's favorite Christmas dinner? Ham! In fact, we consumer almost 50% of our annual ham consumption during this holiday and it has remained the more popular entree for many years on American Christmas dinner tables.