Makeup Brush Cleansing & Storage Tips:
- Keep it simple when it comes to cleansing! You don't need fancy cleansers or a multitude of substances to get it clean. Two things I've found to be super effective and inexpensive: organic gentle foaming hand soap [these tend to have less harsh chemicals/ingredients that could harm your delicate sponge and still offer up cleansing power!] and Pure Brush's Daily Instant Dry Brush Sanitizing and Cleansing Spray [$19.99]; the 2nd option is a bit pricier but it will last forever- I use mine on a regular basis and I've had it months and it's probably about halfway gone @ this point :) The 2nd option is also great for trips or those always on-the-go so you can clean any tool you need to, wherever you are!
- Need to store brushes when drying, after cleansing them? Try these DIY solutions that are easy to do and won't break the bank! First, try using a towel- they work perfectly for brushes and are super absorbent- particularly if you use a towel designed for drying hair! Fold the towel over a couple of times and lay out on your bathroom counter. Flip the brushes after a couple of hours to ensure they dry thoroughly and if you can leave out overnight this method works best :) Another method that's simple to do: take a fabric covered or felt coat hanger and use hair ties to attach each brush on the bottom side of the hanger- upside down [brush tips pointing downwards]. Hang over your shower and leave it be for few hours and you should be good to go!
- If you always seem to have trouble finding the right brush or tool while applying your makeup, you're probably not alone! Once your collection starts to really grow, it can be easy to find that perfect brush for the job in the sea of brushes in your collection! Have no fear- use a series of containers or organizers to do the job! Need one? Do you have a personalized gift laying around...like a small plant potter, ceramic jar or vase, cans, and pretty drinking glasses all make easy DIY brush storage organizers! Have a ton in your collection? Give a sewing basket or tackle box!
- When it comes to cleansing, be sure to utilize a rubber or silicone scrub pad designed for brush cleaning or try Bump It Off- these can be placed on your fingers and provides a flat silicone surface that offers up one side that contains tiny scrubbing fibers and bumps on the other- perfect for all of your brush cleansing needs- plus, they are only around $10 ea. so they won't break the bank. Gently get out excess water by squeezing between paper towels.
- Need to straighten out a worn out brush or stressed out bristles...or perhaps they didn't exactly dry all that well? Take a 2-4 drops of argan oil and apply directly to the brush and then follow with a clean, eye lash comb [from base to tip]. Follow with a mist of water or dry brush cleaner and brush again with the lash separator/comb; then allow to dry :)
The Beauty Closet's Top 4 Brush Innovations for 2018:
1. Geurlain Terracotta Bronzer Brush $44*
Looking for a fab quality brush like the experts use? This awesome natural bristle brush is one-of-a-kind and designed to pick up just the right amount of product and leave a flawless finish! Decked out in a deep red hue, these natural bristles are well-crafted and great for bronzing powders, leaving beautiful, professional, luminous results! Comes with its own bronze velvet suede storage pouch that features a magnetic closure and means you can take this awesome brush with you- wherever you go.
The latest version of Artis' Palm Brush is finally here...and the mini couldn't be more fabulous! Artis makes high quality brushes that won't disappoint and this latest edition to their palm brush collection is super cute and very effective for getting into difficult-to-reach areas and for foundation, concealer, blush, highlighter, contour, bronzer, setting powder, and more! Features a minimalist design and a hands-free finger grip that allows you to have stable application and easy blending, for professional looking results...without the fuss :)
3. Real Technique
Blend + Blur Foundation Brush
Snag this inexpensive, quality brush from ULTA to get professional blending and application results. Features a densely packed oval head that's great for cream and liquid foundation; unique curved designed handle means it also fits easily in your hand. One of the best foundation and blending blushes for the prices that I've come across!
4. IT Cosmetics
Heavenly Skin One-Sweep Wonder Brush #705
Contains patent-pending Heavenly Skin hairs are infused with anti-aging collagen, silk peptides, niacin, and antioxidants- which means not only will you get flawless application but the appearance of your skin improves instantly as well! The firmer you press when applying product, the deeper your color will be :) Pro-hygienic and developed with plastic surgeons- this cruelty-free IT Cosmetics brush is one you don't want to miss out on!