DID YOU KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE LURKING IN YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES?!
A recent study from the Loyola Marymount University in California in 2013 looked at a month-long look at the how much bacteria accumulated on makeup brushes. After the 2nd week the bacteria had doubled in size and at the end of the month-long period of study, the bacteria count was SO HIGH that it could not be measured! Based on the results of the study, the researchers determined that the best course of action was to clean your makeup brushes once a week & at the very least, once every 2 weeks.
With such startling numbers, its easy to see how this could definitely throw a wrench in your overall beauty routine...and probably more breakouts, acne, and unpleasant bacterial infections in some cases! A recent story that I came across about a young woman who borrowed a makeup brush from a friend and ended up getting very sick and paralyzed permanently due to the contraction of the MRSA virus. The friend had a staph infection and the woman borrowed her friends brush to cover a blemish! This is definitely a very rare occurrence, but the fact that it did happen does show how powerful these little "bugs" can be!
THE SIMPLE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO KEEP YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES CLEAN:
1. Start with lukewarm water and rinse the bristles, carefully avoiding the metal clasp so as not to ruin the connection between the bristles and the handle. Avoid hot water as it can also cause bristle damage.
2. use either a homemade formula or mixture or go for a product like cinema secrets makeup brush cleanser, and place a small amount of the mixture in a lid or glass and dip the brushes partially into the mixture
3. you can massage the bristles and excess mixture left inside each brush to loosen up any dirt and grime.
4. while massaging the bristles and using lukewarm water, rinse out the brushes until the water runs clear.
5. Drying the bristles is a super important step- you don't want excess moisture to reside inside the bristles and cause bacterial growth! i recommend using a towel or thick paper towel to gingerly remove remaining water.
6. make sure to reshape your brushes if needed by gently moving the bristles back into place with your fingers.
7. you can choose to lay the brushes flat to dry on a towel or paper towels if you like or hang then upside down on a hanger using hair-tie rubberbands on the handles to keep them in place!
8. a drop or 2 of coconut or other carrier oil can condition the bristles once they are dried , using your fingers to refluff as well :)
bonus beauty product review:
zozae premium makeup brushes 8 pc. kit set $58.78*
*Amazon.com + Prime membership pricing!
I was pleasantly surprised by these brushes and they were a LOT better than I expected for under $60 for an entire 8 piece set! I have tried a few sets and different brushes and there are many out there that can be cheaply made and just plain terrible. They are boxed well and come in a pouch all ready-to-go and are each wrapped when they arrive.
I took out each brush and removed the wrapping easily and also noticed at that point that there is a permanent covering for the larger brushes that helps ensure their shape and protects the brush. There was a slight scent to the brushes- it's what I describe as "fresh brush smell" that I have run across quite often with a new set. I don't care for it too much usually and like to wash my brushes before initially using them regardless, which is why I chose to wash this set as well.
It also eliminated the scent that came along with the brushes entirely and left me with a nice brand new set up brushes perfect for use! I've enjoyed using them thus far and have been able to find a use for each one quite easily. My FAV's out of the set was the foundation brush and the flat concealer brush- they were both very well-shaped and really seemed to help my makeup go on with ease.
The pouch is actually very nice too and holds all your brushes in one place so you can take this with you and fit it in your purse or take with on trips :) This is a great set for someone looking to get a good starter set or if you are needing to replace a few of your main "staple" makeup brushes, this is a fantastic kit to go with. I'd also recommend it as a great gift too!