FIRST THINGS FIRST....!!!
CONGRATS TO MY WINNER OF MY:
WIN TWO FREE MONTHS OF JULEP CONTEST!!!!
Olivia- I'm so happy to announce you're the WINNER!!! I hope you enjoy Julep as MUCH as I DO!
-Christina ~The Beauty Closet ~
THE NEXT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION...WILL I BE HOLDING MORE AWESOME GIVEAWAYS LIKE THIS ONE>!?!
YES! LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT ONE TO START:
NEXT WEEK!!! *date will be announced in the next few days on my blog and Twitter :)
LETS TALK ABOUT WHEN BEAUTY PRODUCTS REALLY DO EXPIRE:
Do they REALLY expire?!?
The answer is DEFINITELY yes!!! Now of course what can make it beyond confusing on which products to throw out AND when. As a beauty fanatic, blogger, and avid user of all-things-makeup myself, I've learned that its really important that you do this and I'll mention the reasons WHY you should and WHICH ones to throw out and WHY below:
Why should I even throw them out?!?..and why SO soon?
- hey start to oxidize and decay AS SOON AS YOU OPEN THEM at home :( This means the formula isn't as effective as it should be, if at all!
- EVERY TIME you touch your makeup and then your face and vice versa, you're transferring pesky bacteria too.
- It could cause breakouts from all of the bacteria in addition to irritation!
- You could end up with an allergic reaction or even an INFECTION!
What products need to be thrown out and when:
- ACNE TREATMENTS & LIPSTICKS - 2 YRS. *they can last for several yrs, but this may not be true at all if the active ingredients begin to break down; Benzoyl peroxide and other similar ingredients lose much or all of their effectiveness at the exp. date and forward.
- SUNSCREEN, CLEANSER, & MOISTURIZER- 1 YR. *this product is also subject to oxidation and will begin to break down; storing in a dark and cool place will help extend the life of your sunscreen. The ingredients in these products can also become more potent over time causing skin irritation or an allergic reaction!
- SERUMS, FOUNDATION, & CONCEALER- 6-12 Months *these products can also oxidize and decay quickly and air, heat, and light can greatly affect this break-down of the product. A good example would be Vitamin C will darken yellow and could even have a bad smell once they begin to decay and expire. Concealers will generally show texture change as a sign they need to be tossed and foundation tends to have a bad smell once it begins to expire.
- POWDER & EYE SHADOW- 6 Months up to 2 YRS. *this is one of those products that can be very difficult to gauge when to throw out exactly and in my honest opinion it depends on type and brand; not only can bacteria be transferred from the powder to your face but it can "go bad" which causes it to become grainy and it won't blend well! You probably want to throw away eye shadows once they start to change in pigmentation/color or start getting a waxy buildup.
- LIP LINER & EYE LINER- 2-3 YRS. *as long as you sharpen frequently and always keep the cap closed in tightly, then these will last for quite some time!*Liquid eye liner however, only has an average shelf life of about 3 months
- MASCARA - 3-6 Months *this seems to be the most common item that is sometimes thrown out past its expiration!...if it changes in smell or appearance toss it out as what usually results is a bacterial nightmare and possible eye infections.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Try keeping things CLEAN!!! = wash your hands before using the product and before going to other products to prevent cross-contamination of bacteria!
- WASH your tools TOO! These will harbor bacteria in worst way! There are several tool and brush cleaners available to do this.
- DON'T leave it in your car or another place where the products gets quite a bit above or below a temp which could effect the product.
- DON'T share with others...period...just don't :(
- Try storing beauty products away from direct heat and light in addition to moisture = this will also affect the product's effectiveness and could cause an infection or skin irritation.