LET'S START WITH WHAT THEY ARE:
Over the years, I've had my fair share of eye creams for just about everything from treating under eye puffiness to dark circles- and I've also spent a great deal of money doing it :( When I was younger, I thought it was just "needed" as part of my beauty regimen because I was always told that was the thing "to do". But I'm not quite sure all those years ago, that I was actually using the right eye cream or if I even needed one at all! So for this reason, I wanted to share with all of you what I've found to be good eye creams, in addition to how, why, and when you should use them!
Generally speaking, eye creams are created with the focus of the eye area in mind specifically as they skin around the eyes tends to be far more delicate, thinner, and susceptible to allergic reactions! The area around the eyes also can begin to show signs of aging such as wrinkles, more rapidly than other areas of the face. Eye creams can treat a wide variety of under eye and eye area issues and range in price anywhere from a few dollars to HUNDREDS of dollars!
WHAT KIND OF EYE CONDITIONS DO THEY TREAT?
- Dark Circles.
- Fights puffiness!
- Signs of aging!
WHAT INGREDIENTS CAN BE FOUND IN EYE CREAMS?
- Retinol- Vitamin A derivative used to treat signs of aging and provides more skin firmness.
- Hyaluronic Acid-also used to treat signs of aging and is often combined with Retinol to ensure it's absorbed into the skin.
- Vitamin C-can help conceal dark circles by brightening the eye area and also thicken the skin over time (about 6 months!).
- Vitamin B3-assists with lightening dark circles!
- Caffeine- helps with puffiness as its been shown to reduce circulation.
- Ceramides- these aid in dryness, but keeping skin's hydration.
- Neuropeptides- these are good alternatives to Retinols for those who may have super sensitive skin as I do!-they will stimulate collagen as Retinol does and help treat the signs of aging.
DO I REALLY NEED AN EYE CREAM???
- IN YOUR 20'S - try to AVOID words like "lifting", "firming", and "anti-aging" as these probably will not be an issue for you and will only cause over stimulation and turnover of cells and therefore skin irritation as a result! Focus on eye creams with ingredients like argan oil and Vitamin C that are rich in antioxidants which will aid in creating a shield against free radicals that can harm your skin.
- IN YOUR 30'S - you can begin to step up your routine by adding Retinol into the picture as it will boost the increasing of cell turnover in addition to collagen! Look for products that advertise help with dryness and tiredness and targets "pre-aging".
- IN YOUR 40'S - adding prescription strength Retinols to your eye creams and looking for items that aid in anti-aging! Ingredients such as Vitamin A and Collagen can be very helpful in helping with anti-aging issues.
- IN YOUR 50'S + - look for creams that boost moisture, assist with anti-aging, and avoid those that contain perfumes as they can irritate skin; try NIGHT eye creams or serums that help boost cell turnover, boosts collagen, and encourages moisture!
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Avoiding hot warm during cleansing and showering as hot warm only tends to dry out the skin!!!
- Make moisturizing one of your prime objectives! This helps your eye cream absorb BETTER in the skin and prevent moisture evaporation.
- Apply EVERY day :)
- Get PLENTY of sleep- this one is a BIG cause of puffiness and dark circles!!!
- Get PLENTY of water- goes back to hydration.
EYE CREAMS I RECOMMEND:
TARTE-Maracuja C-Brightener Eye Treatment $38
This is a fantastic eye cream and I use it EVERY DAY both in the AM and PM! It's great at brightening my under eye area, provides great moisture retention, feels awesome, and contains good ingredients like Vitamin C and Maracuja Oil! This is my GO TO eye cream right now :) I got a sample with some other Tarte products that I purchased and I'm really glad I did! I also ended up getting a deluxe-sized sample of the product in a Tarte kit and it's lasted me a year so far!!!
BENEFIT-Puff Off! $29
This is one of the cheaper alternatives and it's GREAT at soothing tired eyes and calming and reducing puffiness too! It also has a REALLY GOOD scent and a unique applicator tip that's similar to using a cold spoon underneath the eyes-this makes it a LOT cuter doing it :)
PERRICONE MD-Hypoallergenic Firming Eye Cream $65
This eye cream is one of the more EXPENSIVE alternatives...BUT it's VERY GOOD!!! One of the things I really like about it, is the great moisturizing is provides and that it's also hypoallergenic. I have very sensitive skin-especially around my eyes and this is one of the few I've tried that doesn't EVER irritate my skin! It's also made WITHOUT: Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Synthetic Dyes, Petrochemicals, and Phthalates. If you have REALLY sensitive skin or can't use products that contain harsh chemicals, this eye cream is definitely the one for you. Although it IS a little high in price, you will have it forever-it comes in a 2 oz. size which is fairly generous for eye creams!