Sensitive Skin Stressed?
I've had sensitive skin as far back as I can remember and I believe that I most likely inherited this from my mother. I remember her giving me advice from time-to-time on how to combat these issues, but it always seemed that neither of us actually conquered the constant issues that sensitive skin brings. I've had some terrible adverse reactions to products over the years and I've become quite cautious on what I put in my body and on my skin as a result.
This is also why I'm very particular about the products that I recommend here at The Beauty Closet- I don't want my readers & followers to experience the negative effects of a beauty product, such as I have! That doesn't mean though that you aren't able to use great beauty items, products, & tools for the betterment of your skin ;)
It does however mean, that you may need to take some simple extra steps to prevent issues from arising- especially during the summer months, when your skin can become stressed for entirely different reasons! Get the lowdown below, from The Beauty Closet, on 5 easy things you can do to soothe sensitive skin during the summer. Plus, don't forget to check out the fantastic recommended product that's curated just for sensitive skin, from sebmed!
5 Simple Tips for Soothing Sensitive Skin During the Summer:
- Treat your sensitive skin from the inside-out & naturally, by taking a daily beauty supplement. There are a LOT of these out there on the market and I'm definitely NOT a fan of many of the brands & products currently on the market- but there are a few decent ones too ;) One of my fav's right is HUM Beauty- this brand knows quality and produces some great products as a result. Their OMG! Omega The Great Supplements [$30] contain: EPA for irritation reduction, DHA, for natural heart & brain health, & Vitamin E for moisturized and healthy skin!
- Sensitive skin often experiences issues like heat rash during the hotter months. The key to heat rash, is to prevent it from even starting. Start with wearing loose-fitting clothing that's also super light-weight and curated from natural fibers. If you do end up getting your clothing wet, change out of it as quickly as you get the chance. Skip out on the hot-tub too, as these can often cause heat rashes. As for once it's already occurred or it's too late and the heat rash has already appeared, try a cream that contains hydrocortisone. I recommend: CliniCalm 1% from PCASkin [$45].
- Want to go the natural route? Try a moisturizing lotion or essential oil containing Chamomile, tea tree oil, or aloe. All of these plants have natural anti-inflammatory properties that will also provide calm to irritated skin. If all else fails, try an ingredient from your kitchen: milk! Skim milk will have a lot less to offer, but it will do- although full-fat milk will be much better if you have this readily available. Create a compress with a washcloth or dish towel and you will see an improvement in less irritation, itching, and redness.
- Skip the chemicals and oil-based liquid makeup, powders, & concealers! Go for products that are water-based and if they do contain SPF, that it's a non-chemical formula! Impossible to do you say? Tarte is a great brand that will prove you wrong with their Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 [$39].This awesome liquid foundation comes in 12 great shades and is lightweight, while also providing full-coverage :o It also happens to water-based and contains a non-chemical SPF sunscreen. If you want a makeup that actually improves your skin this is THE way to go :)
- Switch to a daily cleanser that promotes healthy skin and won't cause irritation. You want to go for facial cleansers that have sensitive skin users in mind and don't contain: parabens, soap, or alkali [these are ionic salts of alkali metals- which come from a water-extract of burned plant ashes, combined with heated lime, & then commonly mixed with animal fats :( yuck!] Skip the annoying, harmful, & irritating chemicals and try a cleanser that your skin will love you for. Sebamed [ $12.99] is a great option that doesn't cost tons of cash either! Get more info on this awesome product, below:
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Liquid Face & Body Wash
for Sensitive Skin
A fabulous product for the price and definitely a must-have if you are like myself and have super sensitive skin! Not only does this powerful cleanser gently, yet deeply penetrate pores for truly cleansed skin- it does this without all of the harsh chemicals that traditional soaps & facial cleansers often contain.
Sebamed formulated their facial soap for sensitive skin, without: soap, alkali, & parabens. It IS however, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, hydrating, & contains Pentavitin, vitamins, & allantoin. This is why you end up with refreshed, cleansed, & healthy looking AND feeling skin. Your skin will only improve with each usage and I've definitely seen an improvement with mine- it seems much less prone to breakouts and the overall health of my skin has improved as well :)
There's no annoying scent to the product either- it's very light and doesn't linger on your face, after washing. Since Sebamed is 100% biodegradable too, it's good the environment and good for you :) I highly recommend this cleanser as a daily facial wash that's perfect for Summer and excellent for all skin types!