Ever Wondered the Best Way to Apply a Product?
Sometimes you can have a really awesome product at your disposal, but you're not quite sure how to apply it! If there are decent application instructions, sometimes they still aren't all that easy to follow. They also don't tend to give much of a visual representation and can leave you confused on exactly what is the best way to apply it.
You wouldn't be alone in feeling this way as I have come to that exact spot at some point myself. Luckily though, I've picked up a few pointers along the way that I discovered can make all the difference on how well the product can work for you! Plus, I thought that I would share one of my top recommended eye gels below- as an extra bonus ;) Make sure to check out the review on Insta Natural's Youth Express Eye Gel below my application guide!
How Do I Apply....?
- HAIR SPRAY: Keep at least a foot to 1.5 ft. from your head- this will prevent your hair from clumping and sticking together and it will also keep the product from building up unevenly in certain areas of your hair. Also ensure that you keep your hand/the product in constant motion AND shake the can for a few seconds before usage.
- DRY SHAMPOO: Part your hair into a front and back section and then split up those parts into smaller sections. Starting at the hairline, spray with the nozzle pointed at an angle towards your face. Keep a constant motion and be at least 4-7 inches away from your head. Once it's spayed on all sections, flip your head over and apply to the underside of your head and don't overdo it or you might end up with an ash/whitish look on your hair that doesn't look so great. Flip your head over and brush your hair gently with a wood paddle brush.
- MOUSSE: Make sure that your hair wet for starters [damp is okay, but it needs to be at the roots as well!]. Then vigorously shake the can for about 5-15 secs. and hold in vertically, while applying at the roots. You can section your hair beforehand as well, to make this easier to do and start at the bottom of your neck and go until you come to the top of your head. Use your fingertips to evenly work the product in your hair and you can flip over your head and apply a bit more product at your roots. Then shake your hair out very lightly and flip your head back over. If you make sure not to apply too much, the product will dry and disappear- preventing flaking too!
- VOLUME BOOSTER: Most of these types of products have a specialized angular nozzle that's specifically designed to be placed near the roots and then spritz lightly along your part/roots. You can then flip your head upside down and apply the product again in the same manner and then put your head back upright. Use your fingers to shake your hair a bit.
- HEAT-PROTECTING SERUM/PRODUCTS: It's key to apply these products while your hair it wet or damp, as this will allow them to penetrate your scalp and hair cuticles deeply. This ensures that the product does what it's designed to do- before your styling with heat tools begins. Divide your hair into sections and distribute evenly and then comb through with a wide-tooth comb or your fingers- don't overdo it on these types of products either or you will end up with stiffness and stickiness :(
- MOISTURIZER FOR BODY: This is a product that's okay to "slather on" and it's great to apply right after stepping out of the shower. Start with quarter-sized amounts and place in 1 of your palms and rub between both hands to warm up the moisturizer before applying.
- FACIAL MOISTURIZER: One key thing to remember with facial moisturizer is to prep your face properly before! Wash your face twice daily and utilize your hands or a clean washcloth every time, in order to rinse off your face wash as well. Skip on scrubbing unnecessarily or overdoing it as this will only cause irritation and will not allow your moisturizer to penetrate your skin properly. Leave your skin damp, but not completely wet- this will allow it to absorb well into the skin without sliding off easily. Use your fingertips and apply a dime-sized amount, using light & circular motions to put it on. Don't forget your neck area as well :)
- SUN PROTECTION (BODY): Ensure that you apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before sun exposure and use around an ounce of product. This may seem like quite a bit, but this is often found to be the mistake of many people- they don't put on enough of this product. Rub the product into your skin well, until you can no longer see it. For spray- on types: turn the can upright and move it back and forth in rows on your skin. Then rub the product into your skin and avoid inhaling the product as you spray it on. Ensure that you also re-apply the product every 30 minutes and every 15 minutes if your skin is getting wet.
- SUN PROTECTION (FACE): Unlike for the rest of your body, this product needs to be applied at least 45-60 mins. before you are exposed to the sun. Make sure to also remember to apply to your nose and an SPF containing-product to your lips! Re-apply your sunscreen every hour and every 30 minutes if you are getting wet. Put a quarter-sized amount in your hands first, and use your finger tips to apply and rub it into your skin well.
- SUNLESS PRODUCTS [FACE & BODY]: When it comes to your face, avoid over-applying the product. Start with areas like the bridge of your nose and your cheeks and use a gradual formula that allows you to build the shade over a bit of time. Try an exfoliator when it comes to both your face and body, before applying any type of sunless product. Avoid places like your eyebrows & eyelids too, as these places can end up turning orange :0 Go easy on places like your knees and elbows too, as applying to much of the product can cause them to be much darker than the rest of your body and also they can end up being orange! Let the product fully dry too, before wearing clothing or lying down- it will end up rubbing off and permanently damaging fabrics!
*This is by no means all that I could possibly think of...but I could have ended up with a huge list if I kept going ;) I did however try to pick the beauty products that I felt were often difficult to apply for the summer. I will be doing a "Part II" , with 10 more products that I felt I had to share- about the best ways to apply as well...be on the lookout for those in the next couple of weeks!
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Ultimate Eye & Face Treatment
Looking for an affordable Mother's Day gift that she will love or just a quality eye gel that doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg and still does the job? The is the way to go! I'm a big fan of Insta Natural products as they focus on providing quality skincare products that aren't chalked full of unhealthy ingredients and high prices.
This awesome eye gel contains Matrixyl 3000, which has been clinically proven to address the signs of aging and even prevent future signs too! Amino Acids, Hyaluronic Acid, peptides, and plant cells boost the product's effectiveness, which is why it's one of my top picks :) It absorbs quickly & easily into the skin, with a nice pleasant & natural scent of cucumber.
I've noticed a marked improvement in firmness, smoothness, and about a 20% diminishing of some of the fine lines that have started to appear around my eyes. This product does improve dark circles too and with my impending graduation and finals looming next week, this product has been a savior!
As an added bonus, the Youth Express Eye Gel from Insta Naturals is formulated without parabens, alcohols, & sulfates! You can apply this product to the entire face for fighting the signs of aging in other areas if you like and it can also be utilized as an eyeshadow primer.