5 Tips to Effectively Detangle Hair:
- Start with the basics: Use a shampoo & conditioner that promotes moisture and the healing of hair, avoiding harsh ingredients like sulfates that can strip the hair of its natural moisture and cause it to look & feel dry and brittle :( Skip on washing hair every day and try every couple of days to reduce tangles & frizziness.
- Use a deep-penetrating hair conditioning masque at least once a week too! Prevention is key- you can stop a tangled mess from ever occurring by taking steps to avoid it happening in the first place :) One of my fav's: Mop Mixed Greens Leave-In Conditioner [$22].
- Try a detangling product designed specifically for unlocking tresses with ease. Sprays work well as then aid in even distribution of the product. Part your hair in quartered sections and spray each section and then comb gently through.
- Get a well-designed detangling comb. Skip the brushes- especially when your hair is damp or wet as its more likely to experience breakage during that weakened state than at any other time. Go for a comb that's infused with Coconut or Argan oils and there are combs designed specifically with detangling in mind :) I love: Cricket's Ultra Smooth Argan & Olive Oil Dressing Comb [$5.99] or Ultra Smooth Coconut oil Detangler Comb [$6.99].
- A natural solution that really does work and is an easy DIY recipe that you can make in about 15 mins. with stuff you might have laying about already ;)
What You Will Need:
- Glass spray bottle [brand new or cleaned thoroughly]
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar [organic if you have it avail.]
- 3-5 drops of Lavendar, Sweet Almond, or Rose Hip oil [your choice, pick 1 of the 3!]
- 1-2 Teaspoons of distilled water.
- Use a dropper and drop the pre-measured amount of apple cider vinegar to your glass spray bottle.
- Drop your 3-5 of essential oil into the bottle next.
- Allow this mixture to set for up to 15 mins.
- Add your final ingredient, the distilled water [add the amount of drops, depending on the desired amount of concentration].
- After securely capping the bottle, shake gently for up to 2 mins.
- Spray from roots to tips, in sections, gently combing out the tangles.
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Mixed Greens Leave-In Conditioner
Boosted with Vitamin's A & E, this awesomely powerful hair moisturizing treatment is just what thirsty, stressed locks need :) This is an all-around fabulous weekly leave-in treatment that I love applying every time I step out of the shower and have also cleansed my hair [I try washing every couple of days to avoid frizz, over-drying, and stripping of the scalp and hair's natural oils]. I follow the suggested directions and apply evenly to my damp, towel-dried hair and then leave in and style as I usually do.
Love the way this smells and it doesn't weigh down your hair after it's dry! Plus, it actually does what it says it will do...detangle your hair...without all of the harsh and yucky ingredients of many of the hair products & brands out there on the market today! I really like Mop's hair care lines and this fabulous product is no exception! If you've been struggling with messy tresses, thick and unruly hair, or just deal with natural tangles- then this is the product for you :) Leaves your hair shiny, manageable, and soft too! Pear, Aloe, & Silk Amino Acid extracts will not only detangle your hair, but also leave it looking & feeling strong, vibrant, & healthy!
Ultra Smooth Coconut Infused Detangling Comb
If you've been on the hunt for an affordable detangling comb and have been out of of luck...stop your hunt! This awesome comb will do just the trick for around $7 at Target, you can snag your own :) Infused with Coconut oil & Keratin protein, this fabulous detangling comb is perfect for all hair types and a master at assisting in letting loose of locked tresses. Easy to hold & grip, with a decent weight distribution this is a super affordable option that works!
Ultra Smooth Multipurpose Comb 25
* mopproducts.com pricing!
** target.com pricing!
*** sallybeauty.com pricing!
This is definitely my fav all-around general purpose comb from Cricket- I love the simple, easy design that's classic and chic! Infused with Argan oil, this inexpensive comb won't break the bank but it will provide safe combing for almost any hair type :) Perfect for a variety of styling [like parting & detangling!] and cutting uses, it's also a great option for just about anyone with hair!