Psoriasis and the Facts:
- Psoriasis doesn't just affect the skin & joints- it can also affect a person's finger & toenails, areas around the mouth, and sensitive places like the bikini area.
- Approximately 7.5 million Americans suffer from this chronic inflammatory disease of the immune system.
- The most common form of psoriasis is plaque psoriasis and affects up to 90% of those diagnosed.
- It can have a substantial psychological & emotional impact on patients and the prevalence of depression may be as high as 50%- just as with other chronic illnesses such as heart disease & cancer.
- Skin cells are replaced every 3-5 days in psoriasis rather than at the usual 28-30 day rate that healthy skin cell turnover occurs.
- There is no available cure to psoriasis- only treatment options currently exist, like topical treatments.
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Free and Clear
Using Food And Positive Energy to Heal Your Skin
by Marjy Berkman
*paperback version @ Amazon.com pricing!
This is a well-written, thoughtful book that can give you real insight about psoriasis and illustrates the daily struggle that these patients go through. Marjy takes the first couple of chapters sharing who she is and how she came about writing the book- including her own personal experiences with the disease that gives you a first-hand look at those that suffer with psoriasis. Marjy then goes on to explain by the 3rd chapter in the book, that there are 3 aspects of healing, in regards to psoriasis:
Chapters 4-6 encompasses these 3 aspects and breaks them down into great detail, with each aspect parceled down into delicious bites of helpful information sprinkled throughout on how to approach psoriasis from a physical, emotional, and spiritual focus. Want to know which foods you should eat.... or how to clean up your diet in order to eliminate foods that can contribute to a weakened immune system, in addition to low energy? Marjy goes over this in depth as well :)
I love the 8 Empowerment Tools that the author names in chapter 7 as the section presents a unique resource that provides ways in which to aid in dealing with stress & when you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed or down. The author ends the book by sharing how she became free of psoriasis and summarizes how exactly she accomplished the challenges that many others so often face with the disease.
In the final chapter, Marjy includes numerous fabulous healthy recipes that will aid in clearing your skin. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, & even a handful of drink recipes are provided, making this an extremely beneficial section to anyone who might be fighting psoriasis or those who just want to have a healthier lifestyle and eat better!
If you've been on the hunt for a book that brings forth tons of helpful information for those or someone you know suffering with psoriasis- this is the book for you! Not only is it informative, but it teaches you a unique approach that not only makes sense, but it simple and leads down the path to leading a fulfilled and healthy life :)