Konjac Types & Why You Should Know:
Let's start with the basics! What exactly is a Konjac? You might have heard of or even seen these sponges..but did you know that a Konjac is actually a plant that commonly goes by the names of devil's tongue, voodoo lily, & elephant yam?! It's often consumed in it's jelly form as a treat in Asian cuisine and the Japanese also consume Konjac in the form of noodle-like strips. Why is its so great for the face exactly?
It doesn't offer up the irritation the standard facial sponge can cause, which means that even those with acne-prone or sensitive skin can use them on a daily basis. They're also highly effective at naturally- yet gently providing a deep cleansing of the facial skin- without causing damage, redness, or pain :) So what's up with the different colors of Konjac sponges that you might have seen floating around?! Well it just so happens that there are a few key differences- check them out below + don't miss out on our recommended Konjac sponges from Dew Puff too!
- DARK RED: Normally reserved for ultra dry + sensitive skin by removing kratinized cells that have become dead- causing dull, lifeless skin as a result :( This shade of Konjac is particularly excellent for improving radiance, hydration, and blood circulation- which in turn, improves skin cell turnover as well! If you also have mature or stressed skin- this ones a great option as it aids in reducing the appearing of fine lines & improving broken capillaries :)
- PINK: Super sensitive skin can benefit from this particular shade of Konjac as it's the most gentle of the Konjacs out there. With a mixture of red & white clays, it's an awesome choice for those needing to re-hydrate or improve tired & sun exposed skin. The pink clay specifically, aids in improve skin elasticity and the white clay helps with leaving a calming effect on the skin.
- ORANGE/YELLOW: Usually contains Citrus fruit extract + natural yellow clay to aid in improving skin luminosity and helps your skin retain firmness and health- especially during colder months. Excellent at balancing skin pH and recommended for those with anti-aging needs & normal to oily skin types!
- GREEN:Normal to combination skin types: great at reducing acne-causing bacteria as it contains green French clay which contain micro-molecules that draw out dirt & oil- while reducing bacteria and cleansing the pores. Perfect for those with acne-prone skin as well and is excellent for reducing pore size!
- BLACK: Derived from bamboo charcoal, this unique black Konjac sponge type gets its shade from the added benefit of charcoal- giving it the stand-out black hue! If you deal with ongoing breakouts and blackheads, this is the Konjac type for you! Perfect for removing excess oil and dirt, while providing anti-oxidant benefits and reducing acne-causing bacteria!
- WHITE: 100% pure Konjac- with no added clays, just the wonderful natural power of the gentle exfoliating properties of the Konjac...in all its glory :) Can be used on all skin types on a daily basis, providing excellent pH balancing properties that are difficult to replicate!
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
So what sets Dew Puff apart from the rest of the market?! For starters, the company was founded by Massahi, who spent the early years of his childhood in Japan & Argentina. With the help of his wife Maya, the company was born while on her search for the most effective, most natural beauty products in Asia. The packaging is no-fuss and simple, making them great for trips and gifts. Their Original Dew Puff is my top pick as its great for all skin types and works excellently with any cleanser type that I've given a try. There are no annoying adding chemicals or dyes- just the Konjac in all it's glory :)
If it's been a long day and my skin is tired and stressed, this is my go-to Konjac sponge! Infused with natural Asian clay, this will absorb even the most stubborn of impurities in my skin- without causing irritation or dryness! Instead, it looks & feels rejuvenated and super soft & smooth as a result :) Also contains an attached string for hanging so that you can leave in your shower or faucet so that it can dry and be ready for the next use!
If my skin is suffering through a breakout or I'm seeing quite a few blackheads, this is the Konjac I bring out as the bamboo charcoal deeply penetrates and draws out excess dirt & oil trapped within my skin. What results is clean skin that's noticeably healthier & smoother too! The best part? It doesn't cause issues like irritation with my ultra-sensitive skin ;)