What is Monoi Oil?
Monoi [pronounced Mah-noy] oil is composed of Tahitian gardenias, infused with coconut oil. The name comes from the ancient Tahitian meaning, "scented oil" and is created by soaking gardenia petals in high quality coconut oil. It's very popular in Europe and is currently gaining notoriety here in the U.S. The origins of this unique oil combination are in question, but it can be traced as far back as 2000 years ago- to the indigenous Polynesian Maohi people.
Tahitian gardenias are Tahiti's national flower and this is due in part to it's deeply rooted in Polynesian life; they are used in traditional medicinal remedies as well. As for the 2nd ingredient- coconut oil, this is derived from coconut palm trees and it's the most utilized Polynesian island tree. Once the fruits fall to the ground, they are gathered up and then go through an ancient process of extracting the coconut almonds that are contained inside the fruit.
After going through a rigorous additional refining process, the coconut oil is stored in specialized tanks until it's bought by one of the few designated Monoi manufacturers. It's then, that the final stage in the Monoi process is completed as the manufacturer infuses the oil with Tahitian gardenias. Once the process is finalized, it's stored in sealed drums- while being kept away from light, heat, & humidity.
Maori navigators used Monoi to protect their bodies from the harsh winter conditions that accompanies the difficulties of long marine voyages. This practice is even utilized today by divers as they prepare for a dive. By the 1940's, Monoi oil was produced & manufactured for commercial purposes. So what does this natural mixture do for the body & skin? Check out its benefits below:
The Awesome Benefits of Monoi Oil:
- Great for massaging of sore, aching muscles, this natural relaxing massage oil is a great alternative to other products that are pumped full of synthetic fragrances & other ingredients.
- Draw up a nice, relaxing bath by adding a few drops to running bath water and enjoy a soothing soak.
- Rehydrate skin naturally, by applying liberally to skin- immediately following your shower or bath. This will lock in moisture and prevent over-drying!
- Use as a pre-conditioning hot-oil treatment that will not only deeply-penetrate hair, but will leave is conditioned, rejuvenated, & with a healthy shine :)
- Relieve the pain, irritation, & dryness for sunburns; you can also reduce the peeling associated with sunburn as well.
- Banish the effects of the sun, wind, sea, or beach/pool water with the natural approach of Monoi oil application; go for applying the oil right after exposure.
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Coconut & Monoi Deep Moisture Balm $12.99*
This is an awesomely affordable moisturizing option that will leave your skin soft, smooth, and healthy. It can be applied over the entire body and is great for super rough spots like your heels, elbows, and knees! The scent is light and pleasant as well :) Composed of good ingredients that are natural and void of things you'd rather not put on your skin, this is the perfect choice for those with super sensitive skin too!
There's plenty in the container and since it's a thick balm, it doesn't take tons of product to get hydrated & revitalized skin. Since it's also a lightweight texture, you can utilize this product as a hair & scalp moisturizer, heat protectant, and shine treatment as well. I've become a fan of Design Essential products and I look forward to giving more of their fantastic products a try!