Micro-Needling...? Is it as Scary as it Sounds?
I've had the opportunity to try out a couple of at-home mirco-needling devices in the past few years and I can not only attest to their effectiveness, but I can also advise that they're safe to use AND they don't hurt. I'd actually heard and read of some horror stories before ever trying a device on my own, but I decided that only through some genuine research of my own- would I truly find the answer.
It turns out that if you utilize the device properly and also get a product that's created with quality in mind, you are not going to have any issues. Why? Let's start out with the basics: firstly, there are 3 types of devices utilized for the micro-needling process: Dermarollers, Dermapens, & Dermastamps. The roller types, often look like small paint rollers and often contain 200 or more tiny needles that are coming out of the roller itself.
Dermarollers act as sort of aerators for your skin and you can easily use the handle and roll gently over the skin in order to achieve the desired effect. As for Dermapens, these neat pen-shaped tools are implanted with miniature needles that are heated and placed in a circular pattern inside the pen's tip. The device does it's magic by utilizing the motor-driven needles into and out of the skin, with a sort of stamping action.
The last mentioned method, Dermastamps, are very similar to Dermapens, except they tend to be larger and contain more needles- they can be manually operated or motorized and resemble a tattoo gun. The difference, is that there's quite a few more needles and no ink involved in the process. I will say that although I've never tried the last 2 methods, I have read that some have experience some discomfort during these procedures and I'm not exactly sure I would be ready to try that approach myself. That's why I decided that before I would even consider such a process, I would have to get comfortable with the idea and use of a Dermaroller.
After I had concluded my research, I decided that it was at least something that deserved more than just a 2nd look. I was happy with the results in the end and decided that it was an affordable approach that had something to actually offer: effectiveness. So what exactly do they DO?! When it comes to skincare there are few things these little guys can be quite effective at improving! There's hopeful research that ingredient penetration is more effectively & deeply put into the skin for better product results.
It's been proven in the medical community for some prescription drug delivery through the skin, so it does look promising :) Acne sufferers are also individuals than can greatly benefit from this approach as it be highly effective in reducing acne scaring as well. Those wanting to reduce the signs of aging can benefit too, as it can assist with smoothing out fine lines around the eyes & lips.
Micro-Needling Quick Tips:
- Before utilizing an at-home micro-needling device, please consult a physician's or medical/skincare professional's advice BEFORE you even begin this type of treatment. It's always a good idea- especially if you have sensitive skin or certain skin conditions, you always want to seek professional advice before trying out a new beauty tool or device.
- Wash your face well and make sure that it's completely dry. If you do choose to utilize a product before/during the use of the tool, make sure that it's designed to be used in tandem with such a device. You do not want certain types of products & ingredients causing irritation due to their penetration deeply into the skin- if they are not designed to do so!
- Ensure during usage, that you DO NOT overdo it! Follow the specified directions on how many "passes" or times &/or pattern that the provided guide advises you to do. Overall, please use caution and keep in mind that it's easy to damage the skin by being over-aggressive- especially when it's not needed!
- Approach the process with realistic expectations of results. This is not an immediate process for most and it often takes time, although you can see some results after just the first usage with some products- it all depends on exactly which specific skincare concern the micro-needling device is designed to address. I can personally attest to the improvements I've seen, but nothing is a magical cure ;)
- Know what you're getting! This is key- choosing the right product can make or break the end results with micro-needling. The age-old saying of "You get what you pay for", applies here and I strongly advise, that if you do choose to give this skincare tool a try- don't skimp out on the cheapest product and brand you can find! Choosing the right product really can make ALL the difference. Looking for one to try? Check out one of The Beauty Closet's top pick from Mesolyft, below!
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
I've tried a few different approaches when it comes to plumping and smoothing my lips, but there hasn't really been anything that I've come across that really brought the results that it claimed-that is, until I found MesoLyft Lips! This awesome product does just what it says AND you get immediate, quick results.
What's unique about MesoLyft's approach, is that it's a lip enhancer that's formulated with ingredients are actually good for your skin AND your lips will look fuller, plumper, and healthy! The formula contains silicones to help make your lips super soft and smooth, Mango Butter & Rapseed oil to provide awesome shine and moisturization, Aloe Vera to calm irritation and lock in moisture, and Glycine Soja- a natural ingredient that prevents collagen & elastin damage :)
I love the unique application method that contains the product inside the application wand itself. To apply, you simply press down a bit on the button provided near the micro-needle mini-roller end and the product will dispense right underneath the roller! You don't need much of the product at all and it doesn't even take a full depression of the button to get out the needed amount of product.
Once you're ready to go, you can close your lips or open just about 1/4" and then use the wand's roller end to gently roll over both the upper and lower lips- 10 times in each direction. The included instructions do caution that you might experience redness and may start with a once-a-week application if you experience irritation or have sensitive skin, but it also states that you can use the product every day as well. I don't use it every day, but at least several times a week.
Not only have I seen a notable difference in the smoothness and softness of my lips, I haven't had the normal peeling issues that I often experience- even during the summer months. In fact, they haven't peeled or looked dry or cracked since I began using the product, which wasn't even something I was expecting ;) As a plus, it also goes on clear and be worn alone or with your lip color or gloss!
Even more surprising? This product actually leaves my lips looking and feeling plumper, fuller, and ultra-moisturized! I've been very impressed with the results thus far and its going to be one of my new go-to lip care items throughout the summer!
Not really needing to plump your pout? MesoLyft has 3 other fab micro-needling products to choose from: MesoLyft Skin, Eyes, & Neck. They also offer a firming cream and 2 moisturizers- one designed for the eyes and the other for the face [these come out in Fall 2016]- I can't wait to give another one of MesoLyft's awesome products a try :)