Want to Preserve Your New Fall Hair Color? Skip These 5 Things:
- AMMONIA: this yucky chemical can be used to treat pool & even drinking water :0 Avoid continual poolside exposure and install a filtered shower-head to reduce contact with this chemical. It's also damaging as it can open up your hair cuticle which allows for color loss and dryness to permeate the hair shaft.
- SULFATES: these are salts derived from sulfuric acid & is utilized in commercial settings to oxidize and treat metals. They also aren't very good for the environment and are often placed in hair products like shampoos & conditioners, as cleansing agents [SLS]. The real bummer? Sulfates can damage or cause the hair shaft to open and lead to dryness, aiding in fading hair color :(
- HOT WATER: Lukewarm water is your best bet when trying to extend hair color as hot water can cause further opening of the hair cuticle and that will allow for more hair color to rinse out, as a result.
- UV RAYS: Skip out on continual indoor tanning sessions or sun exposure. Not only is it damaging to your skin, causing premature aging and raising the risks to skin cancer but it will aid in fading your hair color as well. Try wearing protection like a scarf, thick headband, or hat- or apply a hair care product containing a UV protectorant :)
- ALCOHOL: this ingredient is frequently in most hair care products and runs the gamut from cleansers to heat-protection & styling items. It not only dries out your hair & scalp, but it fades color leaving it dull & susceptible to premature fading. Shampoos & hairsprays often contain the highest content- skip these and go for items that aren't alcohol-based. Do these types of products really exist? Check out some of The Beauty Closet's top picks from UnWash, below:
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
If you haven't come across this awesome brand yet- you've definitely been missing out! I stumbled upon them some time ago and I couldn't wait to give this one a try ;) Their quality is superb & their products are curated with gentle ingredients that won't fade hair color- like sulfate detergents! This Anti-Residue Cleanse shampoo from UnWash is not different! It smells wonderful too! The pH formula is great for almost any hair type as it's mild approach is still an effective cleanser that will remove build-up without stripping away your hair and scalp's natural oils. I love the simple yet hip design of the bottle that also makes it easy to set down, without it tipping and making a mess :) I love that I don't have to use tons of product either to get a decent lathering effect and to feel like my hair actually got cleansed.
The perfect companion to UnWash's shampoo, as an ultra-hydrating thick & creamy conditioner that's void of yucky ingredients. It does however contain awesome stuff like organic Argan Oil and Hydrolyzed Quinoa to protect, strengthen, and moisturize hair! I absolutely love the fresh & light scent and this Hydrating Masque leaves my hair soft, shiny, and manageable. Just as the UnWash shampoo, the bottle come in a stylish simple design that makes it easy to use, appreciate, and prevent a mess. You will absolutely LOVE this one- it works for most hair types and is packed full of ingredients that your scalp & hair will thank you for :)