Quick Hair Color Extending Tips:
- Use Sulfate-Free shampoo: the debate has gone back & forth on this for years, but I swear by this one! I've tried using regular shampoos that contain harsh ingredients, vs. those without sulfates and other color-fading ingredients and I have seen a difference :0
- Go easy on the heat styling tools! this is super important as it can not only dull, fade, & even harm your color- but it can harm your hair as well. Go for a heat-protecting product and apply before using heat styling.
- Get a shower filter: Yup! This is a very inexpensive way to prevent quick color-fading and color-loss by swapping out your traditional shower head for one that's designed to filter out things like chlorine and sulfates- which only cause discoloration of hair color!
- Apply a once-a-week treatment: help preserve color, seal cuticles, & revitalize dull hair with a weekly hair masque or treatment. Hair will look shiny and color will be rich & vibrant :) Stick with thick, creamy products containing rich & healthy natural oils like: Marula, Argan, & Coconut.
- Condition before you shampoo?! I know this seems odd, but this unique hair color preservation tip from Guy Tang is one that does work! First, you'll want to wet your hair and then apply a small amount of conditioner throughout your entire head. Next, apply shampoo directly on top of the conditioner and then complete your hair routine as normal. Then, recondition and rinse completely.
Looking for Some Fab Product to Help Preserve Your Hair Color?
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Deep Shine Color Care
Invisible Dry Shampoo
I've tried the gamut of dry shampoos from several brands and this is hands-down the BEST one I've come across. What's great about it, is that it doesn't leave your hair with the tale-tale signs of dry shampoo usage as most do when they leave behind yucky, whitish residue. This Invisible Dry Shampoo from Rusk doesn't do this and you can't tell that you've used this quick pick-me-up to rejuvenate your hair style or give your hair an instant boost of shine,freshness, & volume-plus, reduce oil & dirt. Perfect for chemically-treated, dyed, & damaged hair this product won't harm salon treatments either!
It will however limit fade-out & water exposure with a patented formula that contains a unique UV-protection technology. Simply shake the can about 5 seconds and then spray your roots in small sections [I like also flipping over my head & spritzing on a bit from underneath as well]. Wait up to a minute after application and then use a brush, comb, or fingers to gently brush through- then, style as normal :) If you'd like to give this fantastic product a try...without spending the full amount...you're also in luck! Rusk offers this up in a sample 2 oz. size [for around $7].
Deep Shine Color Care
This is a great daily treatment for damaged, color & chemically-treated hair and works well for both dry & wet hair too! It not only smells great, but leaves my hair looking and feeling shiny, soft, & smooth. I love applying this product right when I get out of the shower and my hair is damp- I also apply it on my entire head before heat styling my hair as well.
Protect your hair color while leaving your hair conditioned and healthy, with an alcohol-free formula that contains Rusk's Marine Nutrient Complex & a UV-protection from ChromAvell your new Fall hair color & highlights will last longer :) It won't weigh hair down and isn't oily or greasy,making it the perfect for daily usage without creating a buildup of residue or matted-down hair by the 2nd day of application! [avail. in a 2 oz. size as the above recommended item]