Want to Stop Dry Skin in Its Tracks Without Breaking Out?
Try Doing These 5 Things:
- Skip on the long, hot showers! Not only does hot water tend to dry out your skin, but standing under the show/staying in the tub for extended periods of time can have the opposite affect, i.e. you'll end up with parched, dry skin. Due to the irritation and over-drying, you might end up with breakouts as well :(
- Go for any oil-based moisturizer or cleanser! :0 You might be thinking what?! But this IS true! I would avoid going overboard and using both an oil-based cleanser AND moisturizer; however, using a daily oil moisturizer or cleanser is okay to do and will balance out the skin- promoting less oil & sebum production. Plus, your skin's natural hydration barrier is protected, preventing it from drying out.
- Wear a nightly moisturizing mask or sleeping pack that's designed to be left on the face/skin and allows for it to generate hydrating power overnight. This will leave your skin soft and hydrated throughout the day and helps it to lock in moisture. I love the Bubble Tea Sleeping Packs from Etude House for around $13.20 ea. These awesome little packs contain unique little jelly-like bubbles at the bottom of the similar sleeping pack mixture.
- Exfoliate! This tried-and-true skincare must is definitely a method that really does work- especially during winter months when your skin can get dry & dull. Banish dead skin and polish away with a weekly treatment scrub for your entire body. I also try using a facial exfoliator twice a week. Not only does my skin look & feel softer, smoother, & more radiant, but my skin tends to break out a lot less! ;)
- Don't forget toner! This all-important step not only removes dead skin and rejuvenates skin cells, but it helps remove dirt and prevent the over-production of oil. You will have clearer skin that's smooth & moisturized. Go for a toner that's void of yucky chemicals & skin-drying ingredients like alcohol. One of my fav's for the winter: PCA Skin's Nutrient Toner [$35] which features a combination of enzymes, aha's, & amino acids to remove dead skin and stop blemishes from even occurring!
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Deluxe Gentle Cleanser No. 904
Have you been on the hunt for a cleanser that does the job- without drying out your skin or causing more irritation and breakouts?! This is the cleanser to try! It's perfect for any skin type, even those with ultra-sensitive skin such as myself! You won't get a cleanser that dries out your skin, leaves it feeling as though you didn't really clean it, or notice an annoying scent. It doesn't suds up like the traditional cleansers you might be used to, but I've noticed that this makes no difference in it's cleansing abilities- or the ability to leave my skin feeling soft & healthy. What's awesome about this cleanser is that it doesn't contain tons of yucky ingredients, but it does a fantastic job of eliminating dirt & oil- it even does a good job of dissolving makeup :) You get plenty of product for the price and it comes in an easy-to-use squeeze bottle with a snap-on cap.