5 Effortless Tips for Clean Makeup Brushes:
- Use lukewarm running water- avoid ultra hot or cold, i.e. extreme temps so as to prevent bristles and overall brush shape from being affected.
- Skip on the harsh chemicals or abrasives- they can often end up doing more harm than good! One simple formula that I've found to be tried-and-true: 4 cups water & 2-4 tsps of J.R. Watkins Lavender Dish Soap [contains no phosphates, dyes, SLS, or DEA!].
- Go for a silicone mat for easy, mess-free cleanup option that allows for quick tool cleansing without causing undo stress or harm. One of my fav's: Bump It Off! Find out more about this awesome recommended product below.
- Make sure to properly dry your brushes for at least 8-12 hrs [preferably 24 hrs.]. To make sure they dry without harboring bacteria: lay flat and place on a hand-towel or a couple of layers of paper towels and allow to dry for several hrs.
- Have the bristles become rough, dry, or bent? Try this easy fix: use a dropper and apply 1-2 drops of pure almond oil and then gently brush through with a clean lash comb or brow brush.
The Beauty Closet Recommends:
Bump It Off...
And Brush it Away
This nifty tool is an affordable option that's marketed for use for just about anything you can think of- for pet grooming, as stain remover tool, to safely scrub & cleanse dishes/pots/pans...it's even great for cleansing, massaging, & exfoliating your skin too! I also discovered that this awesome tool is perfect for cleaning my makeup brushes as well :0 You can utilized both sides- the softer, finer side is perfect for smaller brushes or those with natural hair bristle types; the nubbly side is great for larger tools/brushes and also good at deep cleaning too!
What I really love about using this tool for cleaning my makeup brushes is that it fits on your hand from 4 different hold positions, making it simple & easy to use without having to even set your brushes down. This allows me to place the tool on my hand and use my other to hold the brush and maneuver the brush around at all angles without killing my hands or wrists- or making a mess :) As its composed of 100% silicone, it easily wipes clean, resists stains & odors, and provides a non-stick surface that doesn't harbor bacteria. Comes in 4 fun shades: orange, green purple, & blue! Purchase Bump It Off individually, then you're looking @ around $9.99 ea. or you can snag a set of 4 for around $39.99.